A Small School With Loud Intentions

The Oyler Griffin

The Oyler Griffin

The Oyler Griffin

Seniors’ Feelings About Finishing High School during a Pandemic

By Tabitha Hopkins

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Oyler students and teachers have been affected. Teachers have lost their jobs and some of them won’t be attending the 2020-21 school year when the schools fully open back up.

Students also have been affected from preschoolers all the way up to the Class of 2021. Today I will be sharing a few statements from a few seniors that attend Oyler High School. 

First Janasha Cross says, “COVID definitely has affected a lot in my life so far. My senior year so far isn’t going how I pictured it to be. I was ready to be in school and see my friends, mess with them everyday, and be able to get the last bit of high school education that I was gonna receive. I’m excited to be able to come back to school and to continue to stay safe. Senior year so far hasn’t been enjoyable so hopefully it’ll start soon. Then I can get my diploma and look back at this time now and say nothing held me back from walking the stage.” 

Also Kimbely Byrd says, “COVID has definitely affected a lot of things in my life but the most important thing is my senior year. To be honest, I’ve waited for this year for as long as I can remember and now that it’s here I can’t even be excited. I hope we can eventually come back I miss being able to see my friends and teachers. I hope I can enjoy a little bit of my senior year. I hope I can walk across the stage with the people I’ve been with most of my life. I hope this all just goes away soon.”

As a senior myself I am really bummed that this year won’t be the same as it would have if COVID-19 didn’t exist. Seniors want to have a fun senior skip day, a fun homecoming, and most importantly a very fun prom. Hopefully seniors can still experience the feeling of these once in a lifetime moments.