Meet the New Superintendent for CPS

Iranetta Wright is excited to be involved with CPS students & an Oyler student, Tris’Shay Brown, interviewed Wright at a staff-only open house.

Oyler+freshman+TrisShay+Brown+interviews+CPS+Superintendent+Iranetta+Wright+at+a+staff+only+open+house+in+March.+

Parker Brown

Oyler freshman Tris’Shay Brown interviews CPS Superintendent Iranetta Wright at a staff only open house in March.

Charlie Daniels, Griffin Reporter

On Friday, March 11, freshman Tris’Shay Brown attended the new Superintendent Open House at Central Office. Oyler was selected out of ALL Cincinnati Public Schools to send a student representative! Here’s what Brown learned from the new superintendent, Iranetta Wright. 

In the interview, Brown learned the superintendent hopes to start engaging with the students by getting more student councils started and she wants to have a lot of meetings with the students to get feedback from them and hear their opinions.

Wright was voted in as next superintendent on Feb. 28. The Cincinnati Board of Education selected Wright to become the 28th superintendent of Cincinnati Public Schools (CPS).

Wright was recognized by City Year as a Champion of Education, by the United Negro College Fund as an Innovator in Education, and by the Michigan Chronicle as a Woman of Excellence. She earned her master’s and bachelor’s degrees in education from the University of North Florida.

The superintendent, Wright, told Brown she wants to do whatever she can to promote students’ voices; she wants to do whatever she can to make sure that the students are heard and will get their feedback answered by her.

She said, “The first thing I want to do is talk to students on how they’re experiencing everything. So what’s going really well for them, what’s not going well, and what can be done differently.” 

Wright wants to sit down with students and talk about how they’re currently dealing with everything and how they’re managing with it, wants to know what they want, she wants to develop the things that the students want or need. 

She’s excited to get the job and is happy to visit all the schools and meet students to help students become successful, and help their life become amazing. 

Ms. Wright, we would love to have you come to Oyler and sit down with us for our podcast, Mad Mic. We think you would enjoy it and have a great time with us!