A Small School With Loud Intentions

The Oyler Griffin

The Oyler Griffin

The Oyler Griffin

The Holidays at Oyler

Photo by Any Lane on Pexels.com

By Patience Waller

The holidays are right around the corner, so you know what that means; now is the time of giving and receiving. Students and faculty at Oyler are feeling the holiday spirit and express their favorite gifts they’ve gotten this year and gifts they want the most.

Karen Kuhn, Oyler’s high school school counselor, says she wants a new band for her apple watch. She says the Apple watch bands are expensive so she doesn’t want to spend her own money on it. She says, “normally I would really want to get money to travel, but during COVID that’s just not a thing right now.”

Andrea Brierly, an elementary teacher at Oyler says she received a bracelet and necklace that has her kids’ birthstones on them. She says, “it represents the family I have who I love more than anything.” 

Andrea Holbrook, a 10th grade student at Oyler, says she received baking utensils. She says it’s her favorite because she loves to bake, it keeps her calm, and lets her be creative. Andrea says, “I can bake whatever pops into my imagination and I might fail but at least got to try.” 

Ms. Fliehman, one of Oyler’s high school teachers says she received an iPad Pro. She says she also received a circuit machine. She says, “The tech stuff I wanted for teaching and crafting so I can be a better teacher and also be creative.” Fliehman also mentions her husband, Steve, as one of her gifts this year. She says, “my husband because I love him, he takes care of me, he is my true partner, and has a wonderful heart! Plus he gives me what I want!” 

Mrs. Talbert, an elementary teacher at Oyler says she wants a new Keurig for Christmas. She says, “my last Keurig quit working and I NEED my cup of coffee every morning or I’m a grouch all day!!”

Mary Senger, another elementary teacher at Oyler, says she got a new black scarf. She says she wanted one because she needed a new one. 

2020 was a chaotic year with everything it has thrown at us; but even with that, the holidays still bring plenty of opportunities to find joy.