Kareem Moffett, who visited Oyler this fall, wins seat on School Board (updated Nov. 15)

Charlie Daniels, Griffin Reporter

Kareem Moffett is running for Cincinnati Public School’s Board of Education and she visited Oyler in September. She did a science experiment in Ms. Todd’s science class while she was here. 

Some of Dr. Moffett’s goals for the board are to increase engagement from families. She wants parents and students to be more engaged with what’s going on at the board. She also wants to be innovative and use technology more. She plans to be involved in student meetings and parent meetings.  

Dr. Moffett’s time for running for the board has been fun but also tough. Dr. Moffet said, “I love coming to schools and talking. I love engaging with students.” It’s also “tough because I can’t be everywhere and meet everyone.” 

The science experiment with Ms. Todd’s students was fun because they talked about what happens when hot and cold meet. You can get volcanoes, hurricanes, and tornadoes. “I love that sort of stuff, so it went well for me,” Dr. Moffet said. 

Dr. Moffet said she loved working with young people because she learns new things from them. She also said she is excited because CPS’ district is so big and diverse. Dr. Moffett used to work as a chemist, an academic advisor and as director of diversity programs and services at Ursuline Academy of Cincinnati. Also, she earned a Ph.D. of educating urban African American students at the University of Cincinnati. 

Dr. Moffet said that she especially wants to get involved in an outdoor club at a school; she’d love to go hiking with students to get to know them and spend time with them. 

Elections for school board are November 2. Four seats on the CPS Board of Education are up for election this year. To learn more about the six total candidates, here is a voter guide: https://www.wvxu.org/education/2021-10-04/cincinnati-public-school-board-candidate-voter-guid