History of Oyler

Amaiah Edwards, Griffin reporter

Oyler School was founded by a man named George W. Oyler.

The school started out as a 12-room schoolhouse, the same plot of land the school is on the very day. Sadly in 1907, Oyler was almost burned to the ground, and because of that the school needed repair and to be rebuilt. 

The school was finally rebuilt in 1931, Samual Hannaford and sons did the architecture design. When looking at Oyler you can see a statue of children on the roof of the school and engraved on the building are even more Eagles or Griffins. 

The school itself is a 98-year-old building with some of its original architecture, such as the eagle or the Griffin on almost every entrance of the school. 

The Auditorium or known as the Green Acre Theater is on the first floor of the school and is one of the most beautiful parts of the school. The first-floor hallway even has a name. It was named after a young girl who sadly passed away in 2008 in a house fire along with her two siblings, and in honor of her the school named the hallway Hullet Hall in dedication to her. 

This is Oyler Auditorium from 1930.
This is Oyler’s auditorium in 2023.