A Small School With Loud Intentions

The Oyler Griffin

The Oyler Griffin

The Oyler Griffin

Oyler Presents “Annie Junior”: First Drama Performance of the Year

Oyler Community Learning Center held the first drama performance of the year, Annie Junior on Friday, April 6th at 5pm. The play was set in December of 1933 in New York City and was based on the hit musical “Little Orphan Annie.”

The students had been practicing since October, and scheduled the dress rehearsal after school on Thursday a day before the opening show. The show lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes, anyone was welcome, and tickets were not needed to come and see the dress rehearsal performance. Katie Fliehman, first year drama class instructor, answered a few questions about the performance:

What was your favorite part of the show?

“Working with the students and staff was my favorite part leading up to the performance. Seeing everyone come together was my favorite part of the show.”

What was the hardest part of maintaining the show and pulling it together?

“The [drama] Program is new to Oyler, and I think there was a combination with both the technical and logistical aspects we needed to overcome. We are starting from scratch, so acquiring the supplies and resources needed, along with the consistency on attendance, were very big concerns. But once the Program builds momentum over time, that will begin to be resolved.”

How happy were you with the outcome?

“Very happy! The students did exactly what I predicted and rose to the occasion. To see all their efforts and hard work pay off was worth every single moment. A feeling of accomplishment is something I personally experienced with the productions I was a part of during high school, so I knew that it would be as such for the students. To say that there aren’t adequate words to describe that feeling is an understatement. These are memories I will cherish always, and I am so blessed to have worked with the staff and students I did.”

Any comments/details about the performance?

“I’d like to thank the other team members, Tiffaney Hamm, Oyler’s Community Coordinator and Tony Gargano, Oyler Community Coordinator, and all the help from community and support from the staff. In learning something new, there’s always a learning curve, and I am so grateful to have my first year of theatre with such a strong network of people. I look forward to continuing my work and will see you next year for Aladdin!”

Set design was by Sue Dickens and Tim Jones of Bloc Art Studio.

Originally published on May 2018