A Small School With Loud Intentions

The Oyler Griffin

The Oyler Griffin

The Oyler Griffin

Oyler Receives Award for Highest Increase in Graduation Rate

By Sadie Smith

Oyler School has earned an award for highest graduation rate increase in the past decade. 

When Principal Ms. Amy Randolph got here, the graduation rates were extremely low, but the teachers and staff were able to help students expand their thinking and graduate.

Assistant Principal Ms. Myree said the rates went up expeditiously. This is important because we are a school that doesn’t choose students based on test scores, so “we take the students that come in and we embrace their strength” said Myree.

She said what this means to her is that we have a dedicated staff and students who know the value of a good education. Some things the staff are doing to keep graduation rates up is going over the progress of each student and checking in with them to make sure they’re on the path to success.

They also develop strategies to help keep the students on task and make sure they know what they need to do to keep being successful or how to become more successful. She said the students can help keep these rates up by committing to their education, coming to school, respecting the staff, respecting other students.

She also said, ask questions like “is this helping me through my journey to be a successful person?”.